One of the most fun things to do with kids is the Bayou Wildlife Zoo in Houston area! We spent a day with 500 different animals and 60 species of birds from India, Africa, Asia, Australia, North and South America.
The Bayou Wildlife Zoo has two miles of trails, 15 lakes and ponds, native trees and over 3,500 feet of waterfront on Dickinson Bayou
Animals you can see at the Zoo
Some of the animals we saw in 86 acres of natural habitat were:
“Pee Wee”, a White rhino
Ring tail lemur
Addax, Barasinga, Hog and Pere David Deers
Bactrian Camels-Horned Oryx
Best drive-through zoo in Texas
- Adventure-filled 45 minute Safari tram ride through the park
- Children’s Barnyard for the kids to let off some steam before or after the tram ride
- Petting zoo which is a great activity for kids
- Free three-minute pony ride for kids unto 90 lbs which is a super fun activity for kids
- Picnic and party area
Check out this post on Lehigh Valley Zoo, PA to view another experience that you might not find on the most obvious lists.
Details of Bayou Wildlife Zoo
- 10AM to 4 PM – March to August
- 10AM to 3 PM – August to March
- $20 for Adults and $10 for children – cash only
- Bucket of food is expensive at $2.5 – But 1 bucket per family is more than enough!
- Amazing space for birthday parties and leisurely brunches. There’s no food available there so bring your own and find a spot to picnic
- My 15 month old was a bit scared at the beginning seeing the animals so close but then enjoyed the picnic and barnyard
- Save some time for the little gift shop to pick up some souvenirs
- Straight drive from Houston to I-45 south and then 6 miles west on 517 and you’ll be there within 50 minutes!
Fun fact – If you have $7 million lying around, this Alvin Zoo is up for sale. It attracts over 90,000 visitors a year and be a wonderful way to spend time close to nature and these animals from all over the world.
If you are looking for fun things to do in Houston area, do make the drive down to Alvin and enjoy a day at the Bayou Wildlife Zoo!